Here we go with Greenbean Faves #3. It comes from summer and was originally titled Beard Trek. It combines two ‘hobbies’ of mine–Star Trek and my manly beard. As an update on the scenario, we finished Deep Space Nine before August was over and then turned our attention to the last and regrettable series, “Enterprise.” We are nearly finished with it. My beard is in full wintertime awesomeness.
In the middle of August I did something I always do. I took a razor to my face and shaved off my beard. For about a week I went clean shaven and then I began the process of regrowing my robust old friend. To encourage me in this, I reread the Beard Manifesto by the Beard Coach. I always enjoy the regrowing process, and my beard always surprises me how its personality has changed since last year.
In the middle of this, my family and I have been cramming the Star Trek series Deep Space Nine, trying to get it watched before Christmas. I have made my family watch all of the Star Trek franchise as a learning annex. I do the same thing to them with classic films like Casablanca and The Magnificent Seven.
So these two things collided and got me to thinking about the best Star Trek beards. Here are my five favorite, starting with the all-time best!
1. Evil Spock in “Mirror Mirror” gave us our first look at the bizarro universe.
2. Commander Riker was way cooler with the beard.
3. Worf’s Beard–In fact, Klingons know how to sport a kicking beard.
4. Geordi seemed to enjoy a beard of some sort. Here he sports a nice, clean, well groomed goatee and mustache. In an episode or two he had a great full beard. But then, so did his friend Data.
5. Sisko grew a great van dyke in the middle of Deep Space Nine’s run. Coincidentally, that was when they made him a captain and not just a commander. I see a connection.